Roulette is a favourite casino game across the world and though it looks relatively simple, it still requires a strategy. There are variations of the game, as well, which contributes to more diversity and a bit of confusion among inexperienced players.
The basics of roulette are easy to understand – there’s a roulette table that’s used to place bets and a small ball dropped in the wheel to determine the winning number. In order to be a successful roulette player, you’ll need to learn a bit more about the game than these basics.
Understanding the Roulette Wheel
The game comes in European and American roulette varieties. Both versions of the game use a wheel that is needed to determine the winning number.
The wheel features the numbers from zero to 36. The American roulette wheel is slightly different since it also has a double zero. The numbers come with red or black marking and the zero is the only exception.
Zero and double zero are referred to as house numbers. People rarely bet on those, which means that if the ball comes to a stop at either zero or double zero, the house will win. The lack of two house numbers makes European roulette the option of preference for many fans of the game.
The Bet Varieties
Before the wheel is spun, the player will have to choose a bet. There are 10 possible bet varieties to choose among:
- Betting on even or odd numbers: the player doesn’t choose an individual number but rather a group. The bet pays at 1:1.
- First or second half: the numbers can be divided in two groups. Those from one to 18 form the first half and 19 to 36 belong to the second half. The bet pays at 1:1.
- Reds and blacks: just like in the case of evens and odds, the player selects a group of numbers on the basis of their color. The bet pays at 1:1.
- Dozens: players can decide to bet on the first, second or third columns of numbers. Alternatively, they can bet on the first, second or third dozen. This bet pays at 2:1.
- A six number bet: getting a bit more specific, players can bet on a group of six numbers. The bet pays at 5:1.
- A five number bet: this type of bet is only available in the case of American roulette. This bet is only made on double zero, zero, one, two and three. It pays at 6:1.
- A four number bet: placing a bet on the intersecting corner of four number on the roulette table is known as a four number bet. In the case of European roulette, it could also involve a zero to three combination. The bet pays at 8:1
- A three number bet: betting on a row of three numbers will result in a payment of 11:1.
- A two number bet: placed on the line between two numbers on the table, this bet pays at 17:1.
- A single number bet: this one is obvious and it results in the highest payment of 35:1.
Land-Based or Online Roulette?
All land-based casinos have roulette games. This is a social gambling opportunity because it usually involves a large group of people sitting around the table.
The croupier will see the players place their bets and spin the wheel to determine the winning number and combinations. Using a metal marker, the croupier will take all of the losing bets off the table and make the payment to the individuals that placed the winning bets.
Online casinos feature roulette games, as well. Animation is used to show the players how the wheel spins. The winning bets are paid automatically by the software. This version of roulette will obviously lack the social element but it will enable the players to practice and win in the comfort of their homes.